Welwyn Hatfield Borough Council has published the notice of election for the Welham Green ward in North Mymms. The by-election will be held on Thursday 3 January, 2008.
The seat became vacant after the former councillor Peter O'Brien resigned last month.
The council has since received five letters from voters asking for a by-election, which means there is a legal requirement for the local authority to hold the by-election.
The notice, published on the Welwyn Hatfield Borough Council site, reads as follows:
Printed and Published by the Returning Officer, Council Offices, Welwyn Garden City, Herts AL8 6AE.
Borough of Welwyn Hatfield
Election of a Borough Councillor
for the Welham Green Ward
Notice of Election
- An election is to be held of a Borough Councillor for the said Electoral Ward.
- Nomination Papers must be delivered to the Returning Officer at Room F.10, the Council Offices, Welwyn Garden City, Herts AL8 6AE, on any day after the date of this Notice but not later than Noon on Monday, 3 December 2007.
- Forms of nomination paper may be obtained from the undersigned, who will at the request of any local government elector for the said Electoral Ward, prepare a nomination paper for submission.
- If the election is contested the poll will take place on Thursday, 3 January 2008.
- Last day for applications for a new postal vote or requests to change or cancel an existing postal vote or proxy appointment – not later than 5pm on Thursday, 13 December 2007. All applications/requests must be received by the Electoral Registration Officer at the Council Offices, The Campus, Welwyn Garden City, Herts, AL8 6AE, by this deadline to be effective for these elections.
- Applications for new proxy votes must reach the Electoral Registration Officer at the Council Offices, The Campus, Welwyn Garden City, Herts, AL8 6AE, by 5pm on Thursday, 20 December 2007 if they are to be effective for these elections (or by 5pm on Thursday, 3 January 2008, where the proxy relates to a medical emergency).
Dated: 23 November 2007
Council Offices, The Campus
Welwyn Garden City
You can discuss the by-election in this site's Forum. Any posts that appear to be political campaigning will be edited or removed.
28 November 2007