Recent News

Brookmans Park Newsletter
content created by the community for the community


Local history
Local walks
North Mymms News

Cookie policy
Editorial policy
Forum agreement
Privacy policy

Can recycling collections start

Mixed cans recycling
Mixed cans recycling

Welwyn Hatfield Council says the recycling of mixed cans will begin on Monday 16 June when Serco will start collecting from outside residential homes.

Mixed cans include aluminium drinks cans (e.g. fizzy drinks cans), steel food cans/tins (e.g. baked beans tins, corned beef tins and sardine tins), clean foil and clean aluminium takeaway containers, aerosols and metal jar lids and metal bottle caps.

Mix cans do not include juice cartons, crisp packets, metallic sachets (eg cat food), or any other metal.

If the cans or tins have any food or drink residues on them, residents are asked to give them a rinse. This will help avoid odours, wasps and flies. The council also requests that all paper labels are removed.

The mixed cans can be put in the red containers, currently used for glass. If you live in a flat and have a mini-recycling centre the council will collect cans in the red glass wheelie bin.

Excess recyclables can be left in carrier bags. The council says that for safety reasons, it would be preferable if excess cans are placed in carrier bags instead of glass.

The recyclables will be taken to a new outlet where they have the machinery to separate glass and metal, and then forward them on individually for recycling. Paper will still be collected, stored and tipped separately.

You can discuss this issue in this site's forum.

14 June 2008

Search this site or the rest of the Internet
This site The Internet
Creative Commons BY-NC-SA 4.0