Brookmans Park Newsletter
The Parish of
This work is the 1999
Local History Project winner for Chancellor's School
Local Studies Walk
On Friday 24th September 1999, 7B and 7W met in the playground after registration ready to go on the walk. We walked across the school field over to the Brookmans Park Golf Club.
Brookmans Park Golf Club House
The Brookmans Park Golf Club house started off as a stable for the horses of Brookmans Manor that was built by Baron Somers of Evesham who was William IIIs Lord Chancellor. Lord John Somers bought if from Andrew Fountaine in 1702 for £8,000. This price included a park of about 239 acres and about 180 of fields, meadows and woods. This beautiful house was burnt down by a blow torch that caught fire in the early 1900. Chancellors school was later built on the site where Brookmans house originally stood.
The club house has S shapes on the side of the hole with a pole that goes through the middle of the house between the ceiling downstairs and the floor upstairs to support the walls. The former stables has two blocked in windows thought to have been blocked in because there was a window tax introduced to raise money during the war between England and France. The tax was one shilling when it started and three shillings when the tax was no longer charged.
Stockbroker Tudor houses
Stockbroker Tudor houses are made to look like real Tudor houses but are not. They have black frames and are half-timbered. They were built in the 1930s when it was fashionable for commuters to come home to a quiet country house. The houses are in Mymms Drive it shows that the street is modern because there are no pavements so when the houses were built the people obviously had cars.
This box was erected during the reign of George V. You can tell it is George V because he did not put George V on the pillar-box because he was the first George in the Royal Mail period. George V died on January 20th, 1936.
Gobions Open Space
Gobions open space lies four miles south of Hatfield close to the Great North Road. The name has changed over the centuries and through many owners. The name seems to have come from Sir Richard Gobion who was Lord in the reign of King Stephen in the 12th century. In the 16th century it was owned by Sir Richard More and called More Hall. Once of Sir Richards sons, Sir Thomas More, became Lord Chancellor of England. It became known as Gubbens in the 17th Century and Gubbins in the 18th century. It is now know as Gubbins or Gobions.
In 1838 the estate was bought by Robert Gaussen, he was jealous that the house was better than his so he had it knocked down.
In 1938 Hatfield Rural District council bought part of the estate as a public open space. In 1956 North Mymms Parish council bought the land and lake now known as Gobions Open Space.
The water gardens or water works as they are sometimes called were beautiful. In the 18th century many important people were involved in the development of the garden including Charles Bridgeman who was a forerunner of Capability Brown. The gardens were visited by Queen Caroline who came to see them on a day out.
Robert William Gaussen 1812-1880 was one of the owners of Gobions.
written by the Doctor Muffet about Patience his little daughter who was frightened by a spider.
About 300 yards along the road is a house which used to be a chapel of Ease. The Chapel of Ease was a conversion of a squash court. The United Reform church used it before they had a new church built further down the road.
Near the Chapel of Ease is Moffats Farm house a traditional Tudor house with an old wooden door.
The United Reform Church in Bluebridge Road is a very plain building typical of a 1960s building.
There was a house known as Potterells which dated back to the 17th century. Some of the original buildings
have been demolished. The lodge to the house on the estate is now a doctors surgery.
Sir Thomas More
This Catholic church is a modern church and a daughter church to Mary church in Hatfield.
The Church of St Mary, North Mymms
In about 1316 Simon de Swanland bought the Manor of North Mymms and within had built a chapel dedicated to St Katherine. About 100 years later a wealthy London merchant called Knolles worshipped in the little church and decided to add a tower. The south porch and vestry were both added in the 19th century. The St Michael's room was built in 1997/98. The Somers Memorial was made in 1716 by Peter Scheemakers. It was made of marble and has a marble door in the centre leading to the vestry. It used to provide access to the vault.
Folly Arch on the edge of the estate was built about 1750 by Sir Jeremy Sambrooke, owner of Gobions.
There is a story that under each brick a farthing was placed when it was built. Unfortunately now Folly Arch is falling down so it has been necessary to put up a metal bar through the middle of the arch so it does not look so beautiful.
My year 7 local studies history project by Eleanor Wombwell (7b) 1999
If you would like to search local history please use the search facility on the front page of this site. Simply enter the word you want to research and press enter.
Back to Top
Return to Front Page