Linked Events

• Bluebell Walk in Gobions - 2pm: April 29, 2010
  • Bluebell Walk in Gobions - 2pm: May 06, 2010

Author Topic: Local Nature  (Read 124440 times)

Offline barnabus

• Opinions on many things
  • Forum Member
Re: Local Nature
« Reply #60 on: October 07, 2006, 10:26:03 am »
HI there!

I was visiting the ‘what’s on’ section of the Brookmans Park website and this weekend it invites us all to get involved in the BBC’s Autumnwatch and in particular the Seed Hunt events which are taking place all over the place this weekend. Sadly there are no events in Hertfordshire or London which does make it a bit difficult to do so.

However prompted by this I felt I should visit the BBC website and get a feel for what we are celebrating and looking to do.

Autumnwatch is all about admiring and being inspired by the wonders of creation – but would it be strange to look at a famous painting and not ask – who painted it? Or a wonderful building and not ask who is the architect? But when we look at creation we are encouraged to believe it has no intelligent design, no artist, no architect – just an immense accident – I admire your faith if you believe that.

At all the churches locally at this time of year there will be a harvest thanksgiving service. These services are a time when we do not just admire and are inspired but we are thankful that ‘The Lord God made them all’ as the Hymn says or ‘The Heavens declare the Glory of God and the earth shows his handiwork’ as it says in the Psalms and that 'seedtime and harvest have never failed' - He is such a faithful God . My personal belief  from the Bible is that this glorious creation is the work of our loving Heavenly Father who continues to uphold and maintain it.

As a resident of BP, I am so grateful that we live in such a wonderful environment in our village full of green space and such variety of colour, texture and form in the nature we see around us. But let us not forget The Artist, The Architect, The Creator.

I am sorry there is not a seed hunt locally I might have gone along – but why not find time to thank the one who put it all in place?

We will be giving thanks at the Brookmans Park Prayer Group on Monday evening and you would be welcome to join us in our thankfulness (see the What's On section of this BP website). 

Lost in wonder and thankfulness!

Barnabus 

Offline Mermaid

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Forum Member
« Reply #61 on: October 08, 2006, 12:29:21 pm »
You're quite wrong about that, there's plenty going on locally. Friends of ours enjoyed a seed hunt yesterday in The Great Wood at Cuffley and we hope to be collecting with a group of friends in Gobions today.

;D

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #62 on: October 08, 2006, 12:46:15 pm »
Hi Mermaid,

Can you keep any seeds please and perhaps take some digital photos of them?

I thought it would be nice to do another feature for the site's environment section --- a bit like the fungi feature (click here to see) with photographs and descriptions.

I have a pile I collected yesterday and one of the GWT team is collecting some in Gobions this weekend as they go about their work party work.

Cheers

David
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #63 on: October 08, 2006, 01:06:04 pm »
By the way, if anyone has any seeds they want to photograph and submit for the new feature, please contact me by using the feedback form. Click here to access it.

Here are eight pictures already taken. I will merge this thread with the Local Nature thread.

David

« Last Edit: October 08, 2006, 02:50:55 pm by David Brewer »
The Brookmans Park Newsletter has been supporting the village and our local community since 1998 by providing free, interactive tools for all to use.

Offline barnabus

• Forum Member
« Reply #64 on: October 08, 2006, 02:04:58 pm »
You're quite wrong about that, there's plenty going on locally. Friends of ours enjoyed a seed hunt yesterday in The Great Wood at Cuffley and we hope to be collecting with a group of friends in Gobions today.

;D

I am afraid I followed the link on the  Brookmans Park 'Whats on' section only to find nothing was mentioned in either Hertfordshire or North London on the national Autumn Watch website (the link suggested) as per:

8th - Seed hunting weekend
Seed hunting weekend Saturday 7th October and Sunday 8th October in conjunction with the BBC's Autumn Watch. See www.bbc.co.uk/autumnwatch 

So can I suggest that if people put items on the 'Whats On' section they link it clearly to the local contact to find out what is happening locally. How else would I know what is happening locally from this section of the site? The lesson is good signposting! Otherwise how would I know?

I am really glad you are enjoying Gods wonderful Creation today.

David - lovely pictures.

Barnabus

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #65 on: October 08, 2006, 02:50:34 pm »
A massive thanks to the volunteers at Gobions Woodland Trust who collected a bucket load of seeds this morning.

Here are another eight images.

I will build a page and invite people to identify them so that we get them right.

Thanks to everyone who took part.

David

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #66 on: October 08, 2006, 03:16:16 pm »
Dear seed hunters and nature lovers,

I've now made a page on the site featuring all the seeds that have been contributed so far. Click here to view it.

What we would like to do is invite people to identify the seeds, giving their colloquial name and the species. We will then add that information to the page.

So, can you name the seeds? Each has been given a number on the new seeds page of the site.

Please add to this thread if you can identify them. Any info gratefully received.

:)

David

« Last Edit: October 08, 2006, 03:18:55 pm by David Brewer »

Offline barnabus

• Forum Member
« Reply #67 on: October 08, 2006, 06:06:20 pm »
David

Just a couple of questions.

Are the seed hunts organised events that people can join in with or 'ad hoc' happenings that people do themselves with friends - possibly both!.

I found the orginal posting in 'Whats on' a bit confusing and therefore was uable to join in with the organise event previously mentioned - which was a pitty.

If the fomer and they are local would it be possible to put such events on the 'Whats On' section of the website with times, locations and dates so if any of us wanted to go along we could?

Second question - having got bucket loads of seeds - what are we going to do with them? (may be a daft question)  I remember collecting bucket loads of conkers when I was a kid which we eventually just had to throw out (several years later) - none of them grew into Horsechestnut trees.

I dont really want to grow  forest in my back garden just yet!

They are certainly to be admired and wondered at that such small apparently insignficant creations should have the potential to grow into such magnificent species.

I was over in Gobions today and it was looking wonderful in the autumn light - the fields that have been mown look awesome and so tidy.

What magnificent creation we live in - really makes one think!

Barnabus

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #68 on: October 08, 2006, 06:20:34 pm »
Hi Barnabus,

All I know about the seed hunt is what I read after following the link from this site's What's On entry. When I read what I found I thought it might make a nice feature for the site, so went off collecting.

As for your seeds, if you have any that are not featured above, why not take a digital photo and mail me so we can include them in the page.

Cheers

David

Offline Alfred the Great

« Reply #69 on: October 08, 2006, 09:35:40 pm »
Well the obvious ones are ok, but here goes:

1 - Sycamore
2 - Oak
3 - Lawsons cypress
4 - more Sycamore or possibly maple
5 - Horse Chestnut
6 - don't know - looks like an exotic or garden escape
7 - Hornbeam
8 - Ash
9 - Giant Hogweed
10 - don't know
11 - don't know but looks like wild red currants
12 - Hawthorn
13 - Blackthorn (but could be damsons - can't see any thorns)
14 - Alder
15 - Blackberry
16 - not sure but could be Laurel

Any good?

ATG
Confucius he say "a dog is for life not just for Christmas Dinner"

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #70 on: October 08, 2006, 09:47:00 pm »
Good stuff ATG

I have added your suggestions to the page.

Click here.

Number 6 is Magnolia (it's in our garden).

Any more suggestions?

David

Offline Mermaid

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Forum Member
« Reply #71 on: October 08, 2006, 10:21:47 pm »

Is number 10 Elderberry?

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #72 on: October 09, 2006, 06:48:39 am »

Is number 10 Elderberry?

Not sure, I think elderberry has a serated edge to the leaf. This was submitted by a Gobions Woodland Trust volunteers. I will ask.

David

Offline stevea

• Forum Member
« Reply #73 on: October 09, 2006, 07:52:44 am »
Number 10 is an unripened logan berry which will turn to a pinky red colour when ripe.

Offline stevea

• Forum Member
« Reply #74 on: October 09, 2006, 08:04:33 am »
Sorry - its number 14 that says alder berry which looks very much like a logan berry to me.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #75 on: October 09, 2006, 07:43:11 pm »
Thanks Steve, I have updated the page.

Any more suggestions?

David

Offline stevea

• Forum Member
« Reply #76 on: October 09, 2006, 11:52:46 pm »
Sorry David - can't help with 10 and 11. When you first look at 10 it looks like it could be an elder berry or a very young grape. Number 11. as other people have pointed out, looks like a redcurrant but wouldn't bet my last dollar on either.

Offline NZer

• Opinions on some things
  • Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #77 on: October 10, 2006, 10:12:47 pm »
Hi
I know its strange coming from so far away, but I think no. 11 is Guelder rose - Viburnum opulus (this should be in italics but I can't get the icon to work).
Growing up in BP, I remember there used to be a lot of this in the woods.
I'm working on number 10.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #78 on: October 10, 2006, 10:16:54 pm »
Hi NZer,

Thanks for that.

I have added your wisdom to the page.

Click here to view.

Thanks again

David

Offline NZer

• Brookmans Park Forum Member
« Reply #79 on: October 10, 2006, 10:35:52 pm »
Hi again
I like a challenge!
I think that no 10 is Dogwood.  This keeps changing its genus name, but I have it as Cornus sanguinea.  The seeds have a high oil content and were once used for lighting lamps - according to my Wild Flowers of Britain by Roger Phillips!

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #80 on: October 11, 2006, 06:18:07 am »
Thanks for that, I've made the changes. Click here to view.

David

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #81 on: October 13, 2006, 03:16:26 pm »
Angel, one of the forum members, has sent me some great pictures of Gobions taken in the mist this morning. I will post a few later tonight.

Thanks Angel.

David

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #82 on: October 13, 2006, 08:27:06 pm »
As promised, the pictures Angel took today.

Gobions on a misty October morning.

Lovely pics, thanks again, Angel.

David
« Last Edit: October 13, 2006, 08:28:24 pm by David Brewer »

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #83 on: October 14, 2006, 08:06:40 am »
John Fraser has submitted the following image of a woodpecker, taken in his Brookmans Park garden recently. Thanks John. Great picture.

David

Offline Mermaid

• Forum Moderator
  • Opinions on everything
  • Forum Member
« Reply #84 on: October 14, 2006, 10:27:56 am »

What lovely, lovely pictures - thanks for sharing them! 

:)

Offline Dezza

• Forum Member
« Reply #85 on: March 12, 2007, 06:31:39 pm »
Hi for all you keen ornithologists in BP.
Out in the garden this afternoon and a Red Kite flew over. Quite rare to see them so far east and pretty impressive. With a 60inch wingspan and forked tail it sailed across the village and I nearly ran over my foot with the lawnmower whilst watching it!  ::)

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #86 on: March 12, 2007, 07:53:14 pm »
Hi Dazza, welcome to the forum.

I have also seen a Red Kite flying over Brookmans Park. Click here for the post.

I am going to merge these threads to keep all nature posts together.

David
« Last Edit: March 12, 2007, 07:54:42 pm by David Brewer »

Offline Dubhagan

• Forum Member
« Reply #87 on: March 12, 2007, 09:32:14 pm »
At about 6 o'clock this evening, Monday the 12th March, I noticed some activity at the bottom of my garden in Hollways Lane.There was a great flurry of feathers and from a distance it looked as if two pigeons were fighting. However on closer inspection it was a hawk pecking and tearing at a pigeon. As I approached the hawk took off with the pigeon,still alive, firmly clasped in its claws. The hawk had a pale head and wide tail feathers. Was it a kite?
Dubhagan.

Offline Editor

• David Brewer
  • Administrator
  • Opinions on everything
    • Media Helping Media
  • Expertises:
  • Walking
  • Real ale
« Reply #88 on: March 17, 2007, 07:35:06 pm »
Found a nest in our shed. Clever birds, weave something together under cover in a place nobody goes (I don't do a lot of gardening).

The discovery coincided with us hearing a tapping noise on the windows. We found out it was young long tailed tits learning to fly. They would take off, land on the lead holding the windows together and then tap about three times on the glass before falling off and flying away.

Great stuff. Here are some pics.

David

Offline Bob Horrocks

• Opinions on everything
  • Expertises:
  • Green Belt
  • Parish Council
« Reply #89 on: April 06, 2007, 02:45:00 pm »
What do they call baby Ladybirds?  Whatever, here are some pictures taken on a shrub in my garden yesterday - Good Friday.  The finger belongs to my wife!  There were lots of them on the shrub and I just hope some survive to keep the aphids numbers down this year.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2007, 02:46:04 pm by Bob Horrocks »

Tags: